We're an affiliate
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
This French Cake recipe is a classic and timeless dessert that is sure to be a hit with everyone. Whether you’re planning a birthday celebration or a dinner party, this cake is the perfect way to cap off the evening. With its light and fluffy texture and delicate vanilla flavor, it’s a recipe that will impress your family and friends every time.
What sets this French Vanilla Cake recipe apart from others is its simple yet elegant combination of ingredients. With just a handful of basic pantry staples, you can create a cake that looks and tastes like it came from a fancy bakery.
This recipe is from a cookbook from 1889 named Treasure To Every Housewife from women in Oakland, California. It was submitted by Mrs. Boden.
French Cake Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 8-inch square baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the powdered sugar and softened butter until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the milk and half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Beat the egg yolks and add them to the mixture, along with the remaining flour mixture and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until no white streaks remain.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans before removing and frosting as desired.