Cora Myrtle Sharits Floyd Van Etten Gephart Ammerman

Cora was born on January 21, 1893 in Montezuma, Mercer, Ohio.  She is the daughter of Frank George Sharits and Julia Ann Richards.

On the 1900 census, Cora is living with her mother, stepfather and half-sister in Jackson, Ohio.  Cora’s mother, Julia, married James Goodlin on January 28, 1899 and her sister Mary was born in December 1899.  Frank, Cora’s father, is living with his wife Melinda and daughters Margaret and Ruth in Center, Indiana.  Frank and Melinda married in 1896 and their daughter are 2 and 6 months old.

Marriage to Isaiah Floyd

Cora and Isaiah Floyd married on July 9, 1909 in Indiana.  Both are young at the time they married, Cora is 16 and Isaiah is 19 years old.  A year later, on the 1910 census, the couple is living with Cora’s mother and step-father’s family in Richmond, Indiana.  Isaiah is working in a sewing machine factory, but Cora doesn’t have a job listed.  The marriage doesn’t sound like a happy one because there are several newspaper articles below outlining the details of the end of their marriage with Isaiah trying to kill Cora Myrtle and killing himself in March of 1917.

Mrs. Floyd and Aunt, Shot By Former’s Husband, Who Commits Suicide, Still Live

Enraged because his wife, Mrs. Myrtle Floyd, had left their home Tuesday night, Isaac Floyd, laborer, 32, followed her to the home of her aunt, Mrs. Charles Hoover, Fourth and South M streets, where he made an unsuccessful attempt to murder her, shot her aunt inflicting probably fatal wounds and shot and instantly killed himself about 8 o’clock yesterday morning.

Mrs. Hoover was shot twice, the first shot striking her in the nose in the corner of the right eye, passing through and carrying away the left eye and out through the left temple.  The second shot struck under the right shoulder blade and passed inward and down and may have caused internal injuries that may prove fatal.  Mrs. Floyd was shot in the left arm and left side of the throat.  Both women are in Reid Memorial hospital.  Their condition last night was reported as not alarming.  Floyd shot himself in the forehead over the right eye and died instantly.

Investigation by Dr. R. D. Morrow, coroner, failed to establish any longstanding trouble as the motive for the shooting.  Mrs. Floyd said that she and her husband had quarreled on Tuesday night and that he had quit his work at the F. & N. lawnmower factory, purchasing a .32 calibre revolver on his way home.

Fearful of remaining in the house, with her husband, armed, Mrs. Floyd told the coroner that she waited until her husband was asleep and left the house, going to Mrs. Hoover’s home.  Floyd went to the Hoover home early yesterday.  As he walked around the barn at the rear of the house, he met Charles Hoover.  He said that some horses in the barn needed Hoover’s attention and continued his way up to the house.

The women were in the back of the house when Floyd walked in and Mrs. Floyd went into the front of the house to see who had entered.  She screamed as she recognized her husband, who shot at her, the ball striking Mrs. Hoover who had run into the room and thrown herself in front of Mrs. Floyd.  Both of the first two shots struck Mrs. Hoover.

The third and fourth shots struck Mrs. Floyd who ran out of the room and started to a neighbor’s residence.  Floyd went out the front door where he encountered Hoover and fired one wild shot at him, driving Hoover away.  Floyd returned to the house, reloaded his gun and shot himself.  Hoover who had gone fora  weapon, returned just in time to hear the last shot.  Mrs. Floyd had gone to the home of James Ernst and asked that physicians be summoned.  The Floyds were separated last summer while living in Muncie, but became reconciled and moved here six weeks ago.

Floyd was a big, powerful fellow and the police say that he had been drinking Tuesday night when he went home and told his wife that he had quit his job.  The Floyds have been living with Levi Floyd near the National Automatic Tool Co. plant.

Source: The Richmond Item – 15 Mar 1917

Richmond Man Shoots Wife

Richmond, Ind., March 14.  Isaac Floyd, age 35, killed himself today after shooting and slightly wounding his wife, Myrtle Floyd and probably fatally wounding his wife’s aunt, Mrs. Charles Howard.

Source: The Daily Republican – 14 Mar 1917

Two Women Shot By Floyd Improved

Condition of Mrs. Myrtle Floyd and her niece, Mrs. Charles Hoover, shot by Isaac Floyd Wednesday morning, indicated yesterday that they would recover.  Both were much improved, possible blood poisoning being the only cause for fear.  After shooting his wife and her aunt, Floyd shot and instantly killed himself.  No motive for the attempted murders and the suicide which followed has been established by the coroner or police, except that originally advanced, the Floyd was enraged because his wife had left their home during Tuesday night and went tot he home of her aunt.  She and her husband had quarreled Tuesday night because he had quite work.

The body of Floyd will be sent to Swayzee, Ind., today for burial.  No funeral will be held here.

Source: The Richmond Item – 16 Mar 1917

Floyd’s Insurance Nollied By Suicide

Steady recovery of Mrs. Myrtle Floyd and her aunt, Mrs. Charles Hoover, indicates that they will be able to leave Reid Memorial hospital within a short time.  The women were shot by Isaiah Floyd, husband of Myrtle Floyd, who afterward shot and killed himself, last Wednesday morning.

Mr. Floyd was a member of an insurance society buy its by-laws do not provide payment in the event of suicide and his widow will not receive a benefit from that society.  He also carried a small policy in a life insurance company but there has been no adjustment of this policy effected.

Levi Floyd, Seventh and South Q streets, brother of Isaiah Floyd and with whom the dead man and his wife lived, asserts that Isaiah Floyd had not been drinking the night before or morning of the tragedy and that there had not been an quarrel between Mr. and Mrs. Floyd on Tuesday night before the shooting.

Source: The Richmond Item – 20 Mar 1917

Marriage to Edward Carlton Van Etten

Between the years 1922 and 1925, Cora Myrtle married Edward Carlton Van Etten.  I have yet to find a marriage record, but do know that Edward divorced his wife in 1921 and Myrtle appears in the newspaper on March 6, 1925 with the name Mrs. Myrtle Van Etten.  On November 15, 1925, The Richmond Item lists a transaction between The South Side Improvement Association to Mrs. Cora Van Etten, lots 735 and 736 in the Beallview addition to the city of Richmond, $1.

Edward Carlton Van Etten died on April 27, 1926.  Cora was only 33 years old at the time of her second husband’s death.

Marriage to Ersie Howard Gephart

On March 17, 1928, Cora married Ersie Howard Gephart.  A newspaper article found in Dayton Daily News on March 25, 1928 outlines the wedding: Complimenting Mr. and Mrs. Ersie H. Gephart of Richmond, Ind., bride and groom of Saturday, Mrs. Hayes Shellabarger arranged a dinner party Sunday in her home on E. Water st.  Those present in addition to the honor guests were Frank Sharits and family, Irvin Weaver and family and George Goodlin of Richmond, Ind.  Mrs. Myrtle Van Etten, daughter of Frank Sharits, and Ersie H. Gephart, a carpenter of Richmond, Ind., were married Saturday of Rev. Millard Fitch, pastor of the Nazarene church.  Mr. and Mrs. Gephart will reside in Richmond, where the former is employed.

Ersie and Cora are living in Richmond, Indiana on the 1930 Census.  Ersie is 47 and Cora is 37 in 1930.  They lived together in Richmond Indiana until June 3, 1950 when Ersie passed away.

Marriage to Thomas Leslie Ammerman

Cora’s fourth husband was Thomas Leslie Ammerman.  The couple married on December 22, 1951 in Indiana.  They lived together until 1964 when Thomas passed away.


Cora Myrtle died on April 24, 1978 in Richmond Indiana.


Cora Myrtle Ammerman, 85, 1614 S. Fourth St., died Monday afternoon at Reid Memorial Hospital following an extended illness.  Born in Montezuma, Ohio, she had lived in Richmand for over 50 years.  Her husband, Thomas L., died in 1964.

Survivors include two stepsons, Cecil Ammerman of Richmond and Howard D. Ammerman of Mishawaka; two half-brothers, George and Charles Goodlin, both of Richmond; two half-sisters, Ruth Weaver and Irene Jacomet, both of Troy, Ohio; and several nieces and nephews.

Services for Mrs. Ammerman will be at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Stegall-Berheide-Orr Funeral Chapel with the Rev. Greg McCarvey officiating.  Burial will be in Earlham Cemetery.  There will be no public calling.


Baked Beans
Biscuit Yeast
Caramel Syrup
Corn Dumplings
Graham Gems
Grape Juice
Griddle Cakes
Nut Mince Pies
Pineapple Cup
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Pie
Sweet Pickles

Close Menu